08 May 2008

My Butterfly Garden

Today we had our 3rd Butterfly Garden class with Leanne at Foothills Fabric and Thread. It is mind boggling how varied the blocks were when we had our mandatory show and tell. Leanne couldn't help snapping a few photos which will appear on her blog shortly.

I feel a bit sheepish owning up to taking the easy path and staying very true to Leanne's original quilt. Especially when you see it made entirely from black and white fabric with splashes of orange as contrast! But what can you do when what you want and what Leanne has made is one and the same. Maybe I'll be adventurous next time.

I think my blocks have turned out a little brighter, but a lot of the fabrics are the same as those in the original.
The 2nd block is practically finished, only 2 mini blocks to go and then i can start on block 3. It would be great to have all three blocks finished and sewn into a row by next class. All going smoothly this month, that will be my goal.

The ladies at Foothills must think i am rather mad at the moment. On top of doing Butterfly Garden i have signed up for a class to make a flannel QAYG ( sort of) quilt and have just purchased backing fabric for a Swell jelly roll quilt ( that i haven't even started yet ).

I did say i wasn't going to add to my list of things to do but since I've never made a flannel quilt before i let this slide and the backing fabric is for a quilt already on the list so that's ok too.
Oh dear, i really am a quilting /fabric addict !!!!!

BFN Nic

9 comments:

Annie said...

Your butterfly quilt looks lovely - and I just found your Ready Threaders. That is the first person I have seen that has used my tute, so thanks for blogging it. It gave me a little buzz this morning to see it. I too am a fabric addict!!

Foothills Fabric & Threads said...

Hi Nicole, No we don't think you are mad. We are addicted to fabric too, that's why our shop is bursting at the seams. I love your Butterfly Garden, the little subtle differences make it your own without straying to the original which is what you fell in love with. I'm still working on block one but have sewn my backgrounds for block two so technically I'm ahead of my Journey of a Quilter. Cheers for now Sandra

Anonymous said...

Your butterfly quilt looks awesome! Why change it when you know that's exactly what you'd like! I'm sure the black and white with a splash of orange looks cool too though! I'm loving the Swell fabrics as well! Very cool!! Have fun quilting!

Stina Blomgren said...

Ohhh...your butterfly garden is beautiful..I love the colourway...haven´t started mine yet...promised myself not to before Quilters journal is finished..pheeww...;D

Nicky said...

Well i also just signed up for the carpenters wheel class as foothills. What was i thinking? I just love quilts too i guess.
I think your BG looks stunning. If you like the colour scheme already then there is no point changing it. Its your quilt of course and as long as you are happy with it then thats all that matters!
Nicky

Leanne said...

You BF quilt look fab. I am the same if I see it and like it why not follow the lead. I also don't trust myself when it comes to choosing colours.

Nicole & Phil said...

You have done a great job with the butterfly garden quilt!
Who cares if it is in the same colours as the original, you obviously like it, and if it isn't going in a quilt show, you can do what you like!
Well done!

Lorraine said...

I just gave in and bought the patterns for Butterfly Garden...not sure when I will get around to making it, but they will all be there ready to go when that time comes...LOL....I need to live to be about 200 I think!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Your quilt is looking just fantastic.... Nic, I have just purchased this as a kit...you have inspired me start thanks so much.